Friday, July 19, 2013

Recreated Grandpa's Warpicture...

Over at my home Wargaming forum, we had a "Recreate a Photo" competition which I participated in (and won  :-) )...

The objective was to pick a WWII picture of choice and try to recreate it as perfect as possible.
I went through the stash of my grandfathers wartime pictures and chose one that made him(and his comrades) particulary proud.
My grandfather was in Russia with the Heeresgruppe Nord, as a part of the schw.Art.Abt. (mot.) I./106 (Equipped with the 15cm schw. FH and 10,5cm le. FH), where he served as a radio operator first and then as a target calculator.

I don't know when or where exactly this picture was taken, but I recall my granpa telling me that they were requested to lay down supportive fire for advancing infantry which was held up by a KV-1. It was reported, that the first shot (across a considerable range) took the KV-1 out of action...

They were so proud of their accuracy that they went to the spot, marked the KV-1 with their units designation and took a series of five pictures, of which I picked this one:


It took me about 2 1/2 months of hard labour to get to this stage:


It was not allowed to edit the photo. We had to set the camera to black&white and needed to set up the correct lighting and angle without photoshop & co ;)
The KV-1 is a Trumpeter model, the figure is a modified one from the Lamercraft German Staff Officers set and the house was scratch built.

I hope you like it :)

Best regards,
Mojo

12 comments:

  1. That is awesome. I wanted to do this for my Gpas pic with his Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive. While the modelling looks terrific, you've also been able to nail the lighting, perspective & depth of field. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful work. Congratulations on the win-it is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is extremely cool. Congrats.

    It would be a great fundraising idea to publish and sell a compilation of these kinds of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally you finished it. Well done and congrats.

    I am still curious how that KV got into position ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... Law of physics? Overboard :D

      Delete
  6. Wow. That is very well done. You captured the photo very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic picture, and recreation! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work ! Just read the WIP at BO-Forum. Impressive...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You make me glad :)